Documentary Techniques & Tutorials
There are vast resources online that can give you tips on elements of your shoot that may come up during production or post-production. Take advantage of the knowledge that is out there on the web, as well as the resources available in the library.
You can also find some more links related to film editing on my course site for SM2002 The Art of Editing
- nofimschool.com (A great resources on indie filmmaking)
- lynda.com (not free, but they have great courses on anything)
- creativecow.com (online forum, great to ask for a specific tip)
- Filmmaker magazine by Ken Roy, on Flipboard (he posts daily about all sorts of things for indie filmmakers, great stuff from all over the web.)
- EditStock (edit stock footage, for a fee)
- youtube.com (many tutorials, just ask anything and add keywords like documentary DSLR, editing, sound recording
Shot entirely with an iPhone: See how he did it
Sound Recording Tutorial
Three Keys to Great Audio Recording
At the heart of all documentary filmmaking is storytelling be cell films are still films! Visual imagery and sound quality are also critically important.
- CREATIVE LIVE – great lectures on Cell Filmmaking
- The Best iPhone Apps for Filmmakers!
- Mobile Filmmaking with IK Multimedia and FiLMiC Pro: Great short video here discussing issues to pay attention to in Cell Phone filmmaking
- IOS FILMMAKERS: This page is about filmmakers who use their iOS mobile devices as a filmmaking tool = [iPhone, + iPad, or iPod] and filmmaking iOS Apps reviews. http://twitter.com/iOSfilmmakers